dr drew: 6 signs of addiction
On the "Addicted Housewives" episode of The Ricki Lake Show, Dr. Drew Pinsky talked with Jenny, a mom of six addicted to pain pills. When it comes to warning signs, Dr. Drew explained that with a pill addiction, the biggest warning sign is that there is no warning sign. However, there are red flags when it comes to alcohol and drug addiction.
6 Signs of Addiction
• Dressing differently
• Acting differently: Denial, lying
• Neglecting responsibility: Work/school is suffering, finances falling apart
• Taking dangerous risks or health issues present themselves
• Stealing to support habit
• Causes problems with personal relationships
"If you get the feeling things don't add up, trust your gut, Dr. Drew adds. "Because if you're finding paraphernalia or seeing strange and/or different behavior in your child, by that time it's already bad. Many parents will say, 'We found marijuana in his backpack and we had a talk.' NO. By that time, it's too late. There is no talk. If you're finding anything, that's because now they're getting sloppy."
If someone you love struggles with addiction, please reach out for help.