with author Allana Pratt
5 ways to turn your home into a sanctuary
I was very specific last time I moved.
I didn’t want a home, I insisted upon a Sanctuary, and I got it.
Ivy grows up the walls, the roof is rounded, the floor is dark wood and the living room ceiling is rounded. The back yard has a fountain, hummingbirds, butterflies and flowers, and there are two protective huge trees -- one in the front and one in the back. My office is in the back and the spare room in the house is my meditation/exercise room. The chandelier JUST fits and perfectly matches my big Moroccan door table that takes 4 men to carry. How does it get better than that?
• What makes you feel secure? Let’s say you’re a single woman and you live alone. What could make your home feel secure, like coming home to the safest almost womb-like environment possible for you? Are there blankets, pillows or soft thing that invite you to relax? Are there colors that make you feel warm inside, or photos, painting or affirmation art that remind you that you are held, supported and guided by Life?
• What makes you feel nourished? Let’s say you’re an overwhelmed mom and your home reminds you of all you have to DO, day in day out. Everywhere you look there might be piles of mail to go through, piles of clothes to wash, kids bags to fill with lunches and making sure the homework gets done, yes? Where can you look that says MOM time? Do you have a room of your own? A corner, a chair? Someplace that is YOURS to recharge, nourish, replenish, fill up your tank. Make sure it’s comfy, clean, with your favorite books, a candle, perhaps some inspirational cards, an object that reminds you of your worth… and GO, SIT & BE THERE!! Once a day. Even just for 5 minutes… MOM TIME. When mama’s happy…
• What makes YOU feel beautiful? Let’s say you’re newly married. When you look at your yard, your garage, your living room, your bedroom, your kitchen… do you see beauty? I’m not talking museum perfection here, I’m talking you LIKE what you see. Is it time for a splash of color on a wall? Would some new flowers brighten your walk to the car and back each day? Would some chalk art on the sidewalk by the kids make you smile? Would some spring cleaning make things lighter. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder… choose to create a beautiful sanctuary.
• What makes you feel peaceful? Let’s say you have a demanding job. When you come home to your sanctuary, do you keep working? Is there any downtime? Maybe you even work from home and there is no OFF Button. I remember the house before my current sanctuary, it was small (right after a divorce, not many funds) so my office was in my living room. Problem was, I never stopped working. I never unplugged. If your work is intense, home needs to balance this with peaceful energy. Drape a lovely scarf over your computer that signifies OFF DUTY. Create music, candles, creative projects, or quiet areas for contemplation, reading or chilling out talking with a friend. Decompressing recharges your creativity when you allow yourself to have peace.
• What makes you feel connected to the Divine? Each of us have our unique and cherished way to connect to God, the Universe, the Divine. How can your home be a reflection of that? This literally makes your house a sacred place to worship YOU! Life! You might want to keep your bible out, you may prefer a statue of Buddah in your garden, your may prefer a mezuzah on your door frame, you may connect with Nature as your Divine with plants and flowers, or a combination of all! Taking time to connect inside, within your sanctuary home, provides the foundation of clarity, peace and faith to embrace the unknown with grace and gusto.
Think about your own home: Where can you create space that feels like a sanctuary?