at home summer safety tips for kids
Tracy Vega, Owner Simple Self Defense for Women
It’s summer time and the kids are out of school. They are thrilled & you are worried! What will they do? Who will watch them? As a parent so many things come to mind when you have children. Let us help you with some at home summer safety tips.
Some of these tips will seem like common sense to us, but sometimes the kids need a gentle reminder.
1. Does your child know their name? Can they spell it & communicate it correctly with others?
2. Do they know their home address: city, state & zip code? Ask them once in awhile so you feel comfortable.
3. Do you have a home phone number? Do the kids know what it is including the area code? They should also know your cell phone number & a back up number (maybe work).
4. If you have caller ID at home instruct them to look at it before they answer the phone & only answer if it’s on the “allowed” list.
5. Have a conversation & set rules about who can be at the house when you are not home.
6. Make sure they understand how the different door locks work if you have a deadbolt or chain lock etc…
7. Do the kids know how to call 911? Do they know when to use it?
8. Are you in an area that gets severe weather? Have you gone over your personal safety plan with them? Maybe you have a safe room?
9. When is it ok to answer the door? It’s better for the kids to ignore the doorbell if they are home alone.
10. What do your kids think a “bad guy” looks like? What would you tell them? “Bad guys” can even be someone they know. A bad guy can be anyone, even a woman.
11. Do you have a new sitter watching the kids? Listen to what they are saying and follow up on any negative comments.
12. Have a safe & wonderful summer!
Simple Self Defense for Women® is an award winning company that promotes the personal safety of women through TV, seminars and workshops. They specialize in self-defense for women from ages 9 to 91 with a focus on "How to Simply Escape an Attack, NOT Stay and Fight."